[Rd] 64 bit R for Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Sep 2 18:18:17 CEST 2005

On 9/2/2005 11:59 AM, Milton Lopez wrote:
> I appreciate the update. We will consider using Linux, which leads me to
> one more question: what is the maximum RAM that R can use on each
> platform (Linux and Windows)?

On 32 bit Windows, I believe the limit is normally 2 G total for all
user processes, but can be raised to 3 G with some work.  (If you have a
4 G machine, the OS reserves 1 or 2 G for itself.)  R can use as much
memory as Windows will give it, but may not be able to make large
allocations if memory is fragmented, or reserved by other processes.

The limit under 64 bit Linux is much larger, but I don't know exactly
what.

Duncan Murdoch