[Rd] 64 bit R for Windows

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Sep 2 18:48:24 CEST 2005

"Milton Lopez" <mlopez at iattc.org> writes:

> I appreciate the update. We will consider using Linux, which leads me to
> one more question: what is the maximum RAM that R can use on each
> platform (Linux and Windows)?
>
> Thanks again for your prompt responses.

On Win32, something like 3GB. Maybe a little more on Linux32, but
there's a physical limit at 4GB.

On Linux 64, the motherboards set the limit in practice, 32GB systems
have been reported working and I think at least 64GB should be
possible. I seem to recall that the maximum _virtual_ memory is not
quite 2^64, but it will be pretty huge (2^48, 256TB)?.