[Rd] 64 bit R for Windows

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 2 22:06:25 CEST 2005

    PD> "Milton Lopez" <mlopez at iattc.org> writes:

    >> I appreciate the update. We will consider using Linux,
    >> which leads me to one more question: what is the maximum
    >> RAM that R can use on each platform (Linux and Windows)?
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your prompt responses.

    PD> On Win32, something like 3GB. Maybe a little more on
    PD> Linux32, but there's a physical limit at 4GB.

for a *single* object, yes.  However (and Peter knows this
probably better than me ..), R's workspace can be very much
larger which makes it realistically possible to start *using* R
functions on objects of around 4GB.
Someone (Venables & Ripley ?) have once stated the rule of thumb
that you need about 5--10 times the size of your "single" large
object for your "workspace", because of (intermediate) copies,
sometimes multiple ones are needed, or at least part of the
current implementations of many basic algorithms / functions.
In other words, if you got a 32 GB RAM, you could probably start
to work with objects of the size of (a little less than) 4GB
relatively comfortably.

Martin Maechler