[Rd] 64 bit R for Windows

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 2 22:29:16 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Martin Maechler wrote:

>    PD> "Milton Lopez" <mlopez at iattc.org> writes:
>
>    >> I appreciate the update. We will consider using Linux,
>    >> which leads me to one more question: what is the maximum
>    >> RAM that R can use on each platform (Linux and Windows)?
>    >>
>    >> Thanks again for your prompt responses.
>
>    PD> On Win32, something like 3GB. Maybe a little more on
>    PD> Linux32, but there's a physical limit at 4GB.
>
> for a *single* object, yes.  However (and Peter knows this
> probably better than me ..), R's workspace can be very much
> larger which makes it realistically possible to start *using* R
> functions on objects of around 4GB.

No, no.  On *Windows* there is an address space limit of about 3Gb (and on
other 32bit systems)

On a 64bit system the limit is that a vector can't have length greater
than 2^31, but this would be 8Gb for integers or 16Gb for doubles and so
represents larger objects than you would want to handle on most current
64-bit systems.

 	-thomas