[Rd] Rd and guillemots

Mark.Bravington@csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Fri Sep 16 01:51:15 CEST 2005

First of all, thanks to those who've set up R to work so smoothly with
Miktex-- even a total Latex bunny like me got it to work instantly, so
that for the first time I'm able to run my Rd files through the Latex
side of RCMD CHECK.

Now the question/buglet. One of my Rd files contains the following:

\code{mlazy( <<objname1>>, <<objname2>>, <<etc>>)}

When I run the file through RCMD (either RCMD CHECK or Rcmd Rd2dvi
--pdf) the first << and >> are left alone, but the second and third
pairs are converted to single guillemot characters (i.e. European
quotation marks). This inconsistency seems a bit odd.

Also, is there any way of getting RCMD to leave << and >> alone-- i.e.
not to guillemotize them? They cause unrecognized characters on my
(Windows XP, newly-installed Miktex, R-alpha of 10/9/2005) system when I
run the dvi files through dvips.

Thanks

Mark Bravington
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Marine Laboratory
Castray Esplanade
Hobart 7001
TAS