[Rd] Rd and guillemots

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Sep 16 20:06:24 CEST 2005

On 9/15/2005 7:51 PM, Mark.Bravington at csiro.au wrote:
> First of all, thanks to those who've set up R to work so smoothly with
> Miktex-- even a total Latex bunny like me got it to work instantly, so
> that for the first time I'm able to run my Rd files through the Latex
> side of RCMD CHECK.
>
> Now the question/buglet. One of my Rd files contains the following:
>
> \code{mlazy( <<objname1>>, <<objname2>>, <<etc>>)}
>
> When I run the file through RCMD (either RCMD CHECK or Rcmd Rd2dvi
> --pdf) the first << and >> are left alone, but the second and third
> pairs are converted to single guillemot characters (i.e. European
> quotation marks). This inconsistency seems a bit odd.

Yes, this is the tex that gets output:

\code{mlazy( <{}<objname1>{}>, <<objname2>>, <<etc>>)}

This seems to happen in Rdconv.pm, around here:

     ## avoid conversion to guillemots

But I don't know enough Perl syntax to tell it to replace all << by
<{}<, instead of just the first.  (I would have guessed appending a g
would work, but didn't in a quick test, i.e. $c =~ s/<</<\{\}</g; didn't
work.)

Duncan Murdoch