[Rd] configuration and installation of R packages with C/C++ library dependencies.

Witold Eryk Wolski W.E.Wolski at ncl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 12:15:38 CEST 2005

Dear R-developers, Bioc-developers,

I am working on an R package which provides a R binding to a C library,
which again depends on two other "non-standard" C++ libraries.
I have this libraries installed on my box of course and I specified the
library location in the Makevars file.

However I thinking about to make the package available to other users
and wonder

a) Where I should provide the information which C++ libraries must be
installed on the computer? README/ DESCRIPTION file?
b) The library location on other users computers will be in a different
place than specified by me in the Makevars file.  What mechanism of
finding out the library locations, or prompting the user to specify them
are integrated in the package installation procedure?
c) Which packages available on CRAN or BioConductor are *good* practice
examples?

Thanks
Eryk