[Rd] configuration and installation of R packages with C/C++ library dependencies.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 12:36:33 CEST 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Witold Eryk Wolski wrote:

Please ask R development questions on the R list and not cross-post.

> Dear R-developers, Bioc-developers,
>
> I am working on an R package which provides a R binding to a C library, which
> again depends on two other "non-standard" C++ libraries.
> I have this libraries installed on my box of course and I specified the
> library location in the Makevars file.
>
> However I thinking about to make the package available to other users and
> wonder
>
> a) Where I should provide the information which C++ libraries must be
> installed on the computer? README/ DESCRIPTION file?

As stated in `Writing R Extensions': the SystemRequirements field in
DESCRIPTION or a README file.

> b) The library location on other users computers will be in a different place
> than specified by me in the Makevars file.  What mechanism of finding out the
> library locations, or prompting the user to specify them are integrated in
> the package installation procedure?

As stated in `Writing R Extensions' section 1.2: use a configure file.

> c) Which packages available on CRAN or BioConductor are *good* practice
> examples?

Several, e.g. RODBC (which is used as an example in `Writing R
Extensions', section 1.2).

Did we mention this was all in `Writing R Extensions'?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk