[Rd] Shy Suggestion?

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Tue Sep 20 17:30:10 CEST 2005

Seth Falcon wrote:

>On 20 Sep 2005, rgentlem at fhcrc.org wrote:
>

>>As I said above, and will try to emphasize, I really do not want R
>>CMD check to do any checking of Uses (unless asked to do
>>so). Developers that use Uses need to make sure that their package
>>works and passes R CMD check whether the package is there or not.
>>

>One of the potential gotchas with the current Suggests and R CMD check
>setup is that developers cannot easily test whether or not their package
>behaves well (e.g. the examples fail gracefully) when packages listed
>in Suggests are not available.
>
>As a package developer, I'd like easy ways to check my package under
>the "everything is there" scenario and under the "only the minimum
>requirements are available" scenario.

I suspect a lot of us are doing this by using

>Achim Zeileis wrote:
>  if(require(foo)) {
>    x <- foo(...)
>    bar(x)
>  }

and not putting foo in "Suggests."  Robert's solution will solve this by
having us put foo in "Uses," but then will "Suggests" still have a
purpose?  Perhaps it would be better just to return to what many of us
thought was the original meaning of "Suggests."

I related problem is that if there are circular "Suggests" I think there
is a problem.

Paul