[Rd] Wishlist for promptPackage / index

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Apr 19 01:49:10 CEST 2006

On 4/18/2006 7:02 PM, Peter Ruckdeschel wrote:
> Hi R-devels,
>
> would it be possible to enhance either promptPackage()
> or the default indexing mechanism for packages
> so that -- if it exists -- (the contents of) file
> <pkgname>-package.Rd is sorted first in
>
>   * the .dvi / .pdf  documentation file
>   * the .chm  documentation file
>   * the package 00index.html  documentation file

They already sort first in the last of those.  I don't think it is
really possible in the index of a .chm file; they are alphabetical
sorting only, as far as I know.  (The package topic does sort first in
the main contents page, which is the same as the 00index.html file.)

It probably makes sense in a .dvi/.pdf, but as far as I recall, at the
time I thought those were produced by the shell script for Rd2dvi, and
it just seemed like too much trouble to change the collation order
there.  In fact, now I look closer I see they are produced by the Perl
script tools/pkg2tex.pl so it shouldn't be hard to port the changes I
made to Rdlists.pm over.  I'll take a look.

Duncan Murdoch