[Rd] Wishlist for promptPackage / index

Peter Ruckdeschel Peter.Ruckdeschel at uni-bayreuth.de
Wed Apr 19 01:02:24 CEST 2006

Hi R-devels,

would it be possible to enhance either promptPackage()
or the default indexing mechanism for packages
so that -- if it exists -- (the contents of) file
<pkgname>-package.Rd is sorted first in

  * the .dvi / .pdf  documentation file
  * the .chm  documentation file
  * the package 00index.html  documentation file

?

So far I found the following "hand-made" solution for me:
(1) rename the <pkgname>-package.Rd file to, say,
 0<pkgname>-package.Rd
(2) change the \name -field to
       \name{(<pkgname>-package)}
(note the parentheses in order to sort this file before
 any operators like "+", "-" etc..)

This is probably not quite the way it should be, but
at least it works under my standard-settings.

A more refined strategy would probably also take
into account something like a Collate field in
the DESCRIPTION field.

What is the opinion of R-Core to this question?

Thank you already
Peter