[Rd] Wishlist: 'quietly' argument for .onAttach() / .First.lib()

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Wed Apr 19 05:58:07 CEST 2006

Peter Ruckdeschel <Peter.Ruckdeschel at uni-bayreuth.de> writes:

> Summing up the discussions in this thread, I have built a package
> 'startupmsg' available (in a first version) for the moment at
>
> http://www.uni-bayreuth.de/departments/math/org/mathe7/R-devel/startupmsg_0.1.tar.gz
>
> (see documentation within)
>
> In particular, I took up suggestions from Seth Falcon's mail as to the
> condition system
> in R as well as a  suggestion by Brian Ripley in some earlier reply in
> this thread
> to use options() to control start-up messages.
>
> Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

It's nice to see code instead of discussion :-)

I had a quick look and for what it's worth, a few comments...

* Seems a bit more code than I would expect.  I think you have some
  use cases that I don't have ;-).  In terms of general use, I would
  suggest making a stab at a simplified version.  For example, what's
  the difference between startupMessage and startupVersionMessage; are
  both needed?  And linestarter?

* Consider adding a customizable restart.  As it stands, startupmsg
  doesn't give a user more control than message().  That is, you can
  either muffle the messages or not.  If I want to write them to a
  file or prefix them with funny characters, doing so by grabbing hold
  of the message before it is emitted via the restart seems like a
  nice approach (although one could argue for a more general system
  logging system that probably would not need the fancy condition
  system use).

Thanks for sharing your code.

Cheers,

+ seth