[Rd] configure on mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Aug 16 23:25:54 CEST 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 3:21 PM, roger koenker wrote:

Sorry this, is my fault:

> gcc -dynamiclib -Wl,-macosx_version_min -Wl,10.3 -undefined
> dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib -
> L/usr/local/lib -o quantreg.so akj.o boot.o chlfct.o cholesky.o
> dsel05.o extract.o kuantile.o mcmb.o penalty.o qrcens.o rls.o rq1.o
> rqbr.o rqfn.o rqfnb.o rqfnc.o sparskit2.o srqfn.o srqfnc.o srtpai.o
> -L/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib -lRlapack -L/
> Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib -lRblas -L/usr/local/
> lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0 -L/usr/local/lib/gcc -
> lgfortran -lgcc_s -lSystemStubs -lmx -lSystem -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/
> powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0 - L/usr/local/lib/gcc -lgfortran -
> lgcc_s -lSystemStubs -lmx -lSystem -F/Library/Frameworks/
> R.framework/.. -framework R
> ld: warning can't open dynamic library: libR.dylib referenced
> from: / Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/
> libRlapack.dylib (checking for undefined symbols may be affected)

^^ the actual error is here - it cannot find libR

> (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _xerbla_ referenced from libRlapack expected to be defined in
> libR.dylib

This is just a consequence of the above, _xerbla_ is not found as it
is defined libR which couldn't be loaded. The reason is that the
framework install didn't set the correct path in libRlapack. It is
now fixed in the current R-devel.

The current R-devel now also checks the Xcode capabilities and will
fall-back to flat namespaces if the linker is too old (the other
error reported here). I tested some combinations of BLAS and tools,
but not all of them, so please drop me a line if you find a setup
that doesn't work.

Thanks,
Simon