[Rd] S4 Methods dispatch

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Wed Aug 30 15:25:27 CEST 2006

A revision of r-devel 2.4.0 is being committed today with changes to
method and class management.

The changes are internal but extensive.  All packages that use S4
methods and classes need to be reinstalled from source to use the new
version.

The main effects are to speed up method caching and dispatch, and to fix
some problems with selecting inherited methods.  The new design is also
cleaner, so we can experiment more easily in the future with changes for
efficiency or semantics.

The change will mostly be noticeable in attaching packages with many
methods.  The CPU time for attaching package Matrix, for example, goes
down by about a factor of 7 compared to R 2.3.1, timed on a Mac G5.

The other major change is that now _all_ inherited methods are examined
and one of the closest matches is chosen.  The old selection took the
first candidate found, so the current version is better defined, and
will also let us experiment with various tuning & strategies.

There is a draft paper describing method selection at
  http://developer.r-project.org/howMethodsWork.pdf
(It's a document in progress, so go back in a few days for a revised
version.)

If a package uses inheritance for method selection with multiple
arguments, there may well be changes in behavior.  We found examples in
both methods itself and in Matrix that needed attention.

John