[Rd] S4 Methods dispatch

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 30 18:57:31 CEST 2006

[Cross-posting to BioC-devel to]

Thank you for this.

> The changes are internal but extensive.  All packages that use S4
> methods and classes need to be reinstalled from source to use the new
> version.

Is there an easy way to detect if a package is using S4 or not?  If
so, I could scan my already installed libraries and call
install.packages() on its S4 subset of packages.  The alternative is
to do install.packages() an all libraries (sic!).  Bioconductor: maybe
biocLite() could have such an update mechanism built in internally?

If I miss to reinstall one S4 package, what should I expect?  I assume
there will be an error, but I just want to confirm that there is no
risk of getting weird "results" but still a running program?

Reinstallation is also required for all package that comes as Windows
binaries, correct?

Best

Henrik