[Rd] R CMD check warning about boot ?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 1 11:51:59 CET 2006

	  [.............]

    Dirk> The boot package loads fine, and is current.  Why does
    Dirk> R CMD check think it is an error that boot happens to
    Dirk> live in a particular directory, for as long as that
    Dirk> directory is known to .libPaths() ?

There's quite a difference between
.libPaths()  in interactive and in "R CMD check" use :

'R CMD check' does not use your R_ENVIRON where you probably set
your R_LIBS .
I vaguely remember that there a good reasons for this behavior,
but I don't recall them at the moment.

My solution (or "workaround the design bug"?) has been - for
packages I develop - to have small helper scripts that basically do

  R_LIBS=<the_non_standard_libs_I_need>  R CMD check <options>  <mypackage>

Martin