[Rd] R CMD check warning about boot ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 1 12:27:28 CET 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Martin Maechler wrote:

> 	  [.............]
>
>    Dirk> The boot package loads fine, and is current.  Why does
>    Dirk> R CMD check think it is an error that boot happens to
>    Dirk> live in a particular directory, for as long as that
>    Dirk> directory is known to .libPaths() ?
>
> There's quite a difference between
> .libPaths()  in interactive and in "R CMD check" use :
>
> 'R CMD check' does not use your R_ENVIRON where you probably set
> your R_LIBS .

That's not the issue here.  Even if R_LIBS is set, R CMD check looks for
the copies of the standard and recommended packages in .Library
(specifically .check_Rd_xrefs does): that is a safety measure as those are
the ones against which the checks should be done even if you have
development versions elsewhere in R_LIBS.  (Not my design, but one that
seems highly defensible.)

There is no provision in the R scripts to install the recommended
packages elsewhere than .Library, but I believe Dirk has a post-install
script that breaks the assumptions so this is a Debian-packaging-specific
issue.

> I vaguely remember that there a good reasons for this behavior,
> but I don't recall them at the moment.

R CMD does not make use of ~/.Renviron nor R_HOME/etc/Renviron.site:
it is like R --vanilla, which is what is used for a lot of batch testing
code.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk