[Rd] AltGr not working in R GUI Script Editor (PR#9430)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Dec 23 19:00:11 CET 2006

On 12/23/2006 6:07 AM, zoran.bosnic at fri.uni-lj.si wrote:
> Full_Name: Zoran Bosnic
> Version: 2.4.0
> OS: Windows XP SP2
> Submission from: (NULL) (212.235.140.146)
>

> This is a problem that occurs in R GUI Script Editor and is connected to Windows
> regional settings.
>
> Since I live in Slovenia, my computer has a keyboard with additional slovenian
> international characters. I am therefore using Windows XP SP2 with Input
> Language (=Keyboard Locale, Control Panel/Regional and Language
> Options/Languages/Details/Input language) set to Slovenian.
>
> On slovenian keyboards characters as [, ], {, } are produced by pressing key
> combinations AltGr+F, AltGr+G, AltGr+B and AltGr+N, respectively. These
> combinations generally work in all Windows programs and also in R Console.
> However, R Script editor produces behaves wrongly and causes:
> AltGr+F to open Find dialog box,
> AltGr+N to open new Script window.

I see in comments in the source (in
https://svn.r-project.org/trunk/src/gnuwin32/graphapp/events.c, around
line 930) that this is a known bug, but I don't know how to fix it.  I'm
working on an American keyboard, that doesn't have an AltGr key, so it's
hard to test anything.

One solution would be to add an option to disable handling of shortcut
keys in menus.  There's probably a better solution, but without being
able to test it, I don't think I could find it.

Are you familiar enough with Windows internals to work on this and
submit a patch, or do you know someone who is?

Duncan Murdoch