[Rd] R CMD config --cppflags buglet

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 20 19:15:18 CET 2006

On Feb 20, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> There is other small gotcha. I used the .deb packages sun-j2se5.0-
> jdk-binary and sun-j2se5.0-jre-binary which may do things
> differently from other JRE/JDK. In any event JGR came with
>   /usr/lib/j2se5.0-sun//bin/java -cp JGR.jar:. -Xmx512m
> org.rosuda.JGR.JGR $*
> but the path ought to be /usr/lib/j2se5.0-sun/jre/bin/java (with an
> added jre).  Not sure if this is worth worrying about.

This is determined from the system, so the jre package should make
sure its "java" is picked first, otherwise you're creating a
dependency on jdk - i.e. make sure your jre/bin comes before jdk's
bin in PATH and everything should be fine.

A special case is when JAVA_HOME is set - I have updated JRI such
that it will try ${JAVA_HOME}/jre/bin before ${JAVA_HOME}/bin in such
case.

> | Another hack I suspect, but I'll have to ask Markus about this one.
>
> Can you let R's code from help.start() do the work for you?

Maybe - Markus, can you have a look or should I do it? I didn't see
the JGR help code for a while, but I remember some overhaul was due -
switching to help objects should possibly solve the whole issue,
because R will handle all the paths then.

Cheers,
Simon