[Rd] R CMD config --cppflags buglet

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Feb 20 20:07:58 CET 2006

On 20 February 2006 at 13:15, Simon Urbanek wrote:

| On Feb 20, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| > There is other small gotcha. I used the .deb packages sun-j2se5.0-
| > jdk-binary and sun-j2se5.0-jre-binary which may do things
| > differently from other JRE/JDK. In any event JGR came with
| >   /usr/lib/j2se5.0-sun//bin/java -cp JGR.jar:. -Xmx512m
| > org.rosuda.JGR.JGR $*
| > but the path ought to be /usr/lib/j2se5.0-sun/jre/bin/java (with an
| > added jre).  Not sure if this is worth worrying about.
|

| This is determined from the system, so the jre package should make
| sure its "java" is picked first, otherwise you're creating a
| dependency on jdk - i.e. make sure your jre/bin comes before jdk's
| bin in PATH and everything should be fine.

Precisely -- The trivial shell script I wrote actually calls

    cd /opt/JGR-1.3 && java -cp JGR.jar:. -Xmx512m org.rosuda.JGR.JGR $*

as 'java' is handled The Right Way (TM) by Debian's update-alternatives(8).
However, your Makefile doesn't know that and I was merely pointing out that
it pasted together a wrong path using the information it otherwise used
rather successfully to build the beast.

| A special case is when JAVA_HOME is set - I have updated JRI such
| that it will try ${JAVA_HOME}/jre/bin before ${JAVA_HOME}/bin in such
| case.

Exactly, that would do it !

Thanks,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison