[Rd] profiling C code

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 08:40:06 CET 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Liaw, Andy wrote:

> The last time I tried I didn't have much luck.  The gprof manual I could
> find seems to indicate that it can not profile code that are dynamically
> loaded.  (I was trying on Linux.)  The R source seems to hint otherwise.

grof is not mentioned in any of the R manuals, so what are your referring
to?  (R-admin talks about `to compile a profiling version of R', not of
shared libraries.)

> I'd very much appreciate pointers as well.

You need to use sprof rather than gprof.  Here's one relevant thread:

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/devel/05/02/2351.html

and I am pretty sure there have been others.

Linux has very sketchy info on sprof.  However,

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

has some.  I've thought about putting something about this in the
R-exts manual