[Rd] profiling C code

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 18:40:19 CET 2006

Some more information.

1) Whether gprof works is system-specific.  Solaris says in man gprof

   64-bit profiling
      64-bit profiling may be used freely with dynamically  linked
      executables,  and profiling information is collected for the
      shared objects if the objects are  compiled  for  profiling.

   32-bit profiling
      32-bit profiling may be used with dynamically linked execut-
      ables, but care must be applied. In 32-bit profiling, shared
      objects cannot be profiled with gprof.

As usual, Linux seems not to give such details (or if it does, please
point me at them).

2) Here is an example of using sprof.  I needed to be root to create
some directories:

% mkdir -p /var/tmp//users/ripley/R/R-devel/library/stats/libs
% chown -R ripley:bdr /var/tmp//users/ripley
% setenv LD_PROFILE /users/ripley/R/R-devel/library/stats/libs/stats.so

% R
> example(smooth.spline)
> q()

% sprof /users/ripley/R/R-devel/library/stats/libs/stats.so \
/var/tmp/users/ripley/R/R-devel/library/stats/libs/stats.so.profile

Flat profile:

Each sample counts as 0.01 seconds.
   %   cumulative   self              self     total
  time   seconds   seconds    calls  us/call  us/call  name
100.00      0.01     0.01     2914     3.43           bsplvb_
   0.00      0.01     0.00     2261     0.00           bvalue_
   0.00      0.01     0.00     2186     0.00           bsplvd_
   0.00      0.01     0.00       91     0.00           sinerp_
   0.00      0.01     0.00       91     0.00           sslvrg_
   0.00      0.01     0.00        9     0.00           sbart_
   0.00      0.01     0.00        9     0.00           sgram_
   0.00      0.01     0.00        9     0.00           stxwx_

If you are running Linux, Torsten's suggestion of oprofile is a good one,
provided you have root access (it seems to need it).  So I used in a root
terminal (running the same example in another window in the middle)

% opcontrol --no-vmlinux
% opcontrol --start
.... run things ...
% opreport -l /users/ripley/R/R-devel/bin/exec/R
% opreport -l /users/ripley/R/R-devel/library/stats/libs/stats.so
(No unit mask) count 100000
samples  %        symbol name
6        31.5789  bvalue_
4        21.0526  bsplvb_
3        15.7895  bsplvd_
2        10.5263  sbart_
2        10.5263  sslvrg_
1         5.2632  anonymous symbol from section .plt
1         5.2632  stxwx_
% opannotate -s /users/ripley/R/R-devel/library/stats/libs/stats.so
[Problem, root cannot read my source files]
% opcontrol --shutdown

If there is a way to use this without root access I would like to know it,
as only a few very privileged users get that here, and I am not going to
open up root access to my private file server.

Since it does look worthwhile collecting this sort of information together
for R-exts, please add further contributions (to the list or direct to
me).