[Rd] Wikis (was about prod(numeric(0)))

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Tue Jan 10 01:26:22 CET 2006

http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=beginners:surprises:emptysetfuncs

 > Anyone: please correct errors and improve it!
 >
 > Tony Plate

   OK, now I have another question:
I see a wiki at
http://fawn.unibw-hamburg.de/cgi-bin/Rwiki.pl?RwikiHome
administered by Detlef Steuer
   I see another at http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php
(Phillippe Grosjean)
which is nominally geared toward beginners/GUI interfaces.

  I'm not saying I could do any better, but both of these look
as though they'd be pretty hard to get into if you were really
a beginner or intermediate R user looking for info ... Paul
John's Rtips (http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/R/Rtips.html) is actually
about the best example about there -- the flat hierarchy might not
work too well for a really big wiki, but having at least
a good first-level hierarchy set up (and making sure that
what new users see is not a lot of detail about how to extend
the wiki) seems really important.

   Sorry to criticize, but I am happy to start working
on populating a wiki -- but only if the structure is there
so that I can figure out where to put stuff and hope that
someone who needs it will ever be able to find it ...

620B Bartram Hall                            bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704