[Rd] Minumum memory requirements to run R.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 23 17:19:49 CET 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>
>> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

[About Ncell sizes on 64-bit platforms.]

>>> We know: we even document it in the appropriate places.
>>
>> I went and have a look - it is the last section of R-admin (and of
>> course, for those who "read the source", R/include/Rinternals.h). It
>> would be good to mention this in the FAQ (which it doesn't, or maybe I
>> didn't look hard enough), or the beginning of R-admin?
>>

> It's not in the FAQ because it isn't a FAQ (yet).
>
> If you use the PDF manual it is in the table of contents on page i.
>
> In the HTML manual it is admittedly less clear: there isn't a table of
> contents and there is nothing obvious in the index. To some extent this is a
> problem with all the manuals. The structure in the .texi file isn't
> translated well to HTML form by the makeinfo tools.

In my build there is a chapter in the HTML manual

 	Choosing between 32- and 64-bit builds

in the top-level contents, and the information is in there.

It is also in ?Memory (a fairly obvious place).  It may be elsewhere, but
those are the most obvious places to me.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk