[Rd] Minumum memory requirements to run R.

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 23 18:35:26 CET 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
<snipped>
> [About Ncell sizes on 64-bit platforms.]
<snipped>
> In my build there is a chapter in the HTML manual
>
>     Choosing between 32- and 64-bit builds
>
> in the top-level contents, and the information is in there.

Maybe the one on CRAN needs fixing...
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html

> It is also in ?Memory (a fairly obvious place).  It may be elsewhere,
> but those are the most obvious places to me.

I don't want to be argumentative, but the perpective of "obvious"
can often be quite different from one of the authors versus one of
the users...

The 32-bit/64-bit issue affects purchasing or upgrading decisions
- whether one wants to spend the money on buying cheaper
32-bit machines, versus more expensive 64-bit machines. That
decision would be based on information available while *not* having
an operational R installation...

Regards,
Hin-Tak Leung