[Rd] R 2.1.1 installation fails under Suse 10.0 (PR#8533)

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 29 11:49:41 CET 2006

I am afraid

1) This is a message about an outdated version of R, and

2) The problem is most likely the compiler and the way it (mis)compiles
src/modules/lapack/dlamc.f.  This is covered in the R-admin manual (which
INSTALL asked you to read).  This said in 2.1.1

   It seems that @samp{gcc 3.4.x} and later on @samp{ix86} Linux defeat
   attempts by the LAPACK code to avoid computations entirely in
   extended-precision registers, so file @file{src/modules/lapack/dlamc.f}
   may need to be compiled without optimization.  If configure detects
   @acronym{GNU} Fortran it adds flag @option{-ffloat-store} which
   suffices, but it is possible that @file{src/modules/lapack/Makefile}
   will need to be edited to remove optimization on other platforms.

and the NEWS for 2.2.0 says

     o	src/modules/lapack/dlamc.f is now compiled with -ffloat-store
 	if f2c/gcc are used, as well as if g77 is used.

If the current version of R does not work for you, please ask a question
on R-devel describing exactly what you are using (you have not mentioned
your cpu type or your compilers, for example) and what the error messages
are.

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 sigbert at wiwi.hu-berlin.de wrote:

> Full_Name: Sigbert Klinke
> Version: 2.1.1
> OS: Suse Linux 10.0 (Full DVD)
> Submission from: (NULL) (141.20.100.252)
>

> Suse 10.0 installs only a Fortran 95 compiler

Which compiler is this?  According to its man page, gfortran is *not* a
Fortran 95 compiler, and you have not mentioned what you think is.
(I don't believe there is a free F95 compiler for Linux.)

> with g77 compability mode. Using this leads in "configure" to an
> abortion with problems about "FPICFLAGS".

Which were?  What happened when you set FPICFLAGS in config.site?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk