[Rd] [R] help with read.table() function

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Jan 29 19:08:57 CET 2006

On 1/29/2006 12:55 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> I would argue against this.
>
> If this were the default, that is requiring user interaction, it would
> break a fair amount of code that I (and I am sure a lot of others have)
> where automation is critical.

I don't see how this change could affect any code that currently works
-- maybe you misunderstood the proposal?  I'm just suggesting that the
args to functions that take input from files use file.choose() as a
default.  For example, read.table's arg list would change from

function (file, header = FALSE, ...

function (file = file.choose(), header = FALSE, ...

Currently a call like read.table() dies with an error message:

 > read.table()
Error in read.table() : argument "file" is missing, with no default

With this change we wouldn't get an error here.

> A lot of the issues seem to be user errors, file permission errors,
> hidden extensions as is pointed out below and related issues. If there
> is a legitimate bug in R resulting in these issues, then let's patch
> that. However, I don't think that I can recall reproducible situations
> where a bug in R is the root cause of these problems.

This isn't about fixing a bug, it's about making the user interface a
bit less error-prone.

Duncan Murdoch