[Rd] [R] help with read.table() function

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Sun Jan 29 18:55:45 CET 2006

I would argue against this.

If this were the default, that is requiring user interaction, it would
break a fair amount of code that I (and I am sure a lot of others have)
where automation is critical.

A lot of the issues seem to be user errors, file permission errors,
hidden extensions as is pointed out below and related issues. If there
is a legitimate bug in R resulting in these issues, then let's patch
that. However, I don't think that I can recall reproducible situations
where a bug in R is the root cause of these problems.

Best regards,

Marc Schwartz