[Rd] further f77/gfortran

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Wed Jun 7 17:44:43 CEST 2006

  OK: despite Dirk's very kind help, I decided that
trying to deal with R configuration and Debian configuration
simultaneously was too difficult.

  I did manage to solve my problem by reconfiguring/making/
installing all of 2.3.1 from source:

./configure F77=/usr/bin/g77
make
make install

   A few questions inspired by this experience:

  (1) it seems a bit odd that R sets F77=gfortran
by default, since the system has both g77 and gfortran
compilers on it, and given that there is a separate
variable (FC) for the Fortran 90/95 compiler --
does it make any sense to switch
the search order in configure so that g77 comes up first if present?

  (2) I couldn't figure out a way to set the F77 variable
on a per-package basis: adding a src/Makevars file or a configure
file to the package didn't seem to help, but perhaps I didn't
put it in the right place/get it exactly right.  Any clues?

  cheers
    Ben Bolker

620B Bartram Hall                            bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704