[Rd] further f77/gfortran

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jun 7 18:08:23 CEST 2006

On 7 June 2006 at 11:44, Ben Bolker wrote:
|   OK: despite Dirk's very kind help, I decided that

Yeah, kind but still not useful to you. No cigar yet :)

| trying to deal with R configuration and Debian configuration
| simultaneously was too difficult.

[ I'd still like to learn from useRs what I could do to make the Debian
package more appealing. Local rebuilds seems natural to me; I do that eg on
the Ubuntu boxen at work to combine 'stability' ('frozen' outer system) with
'current' apps where I need and what them. By keeping those within the
package management framework, I feel I combine the best of two worlds. YMMV. ]

|   I did manage to solve my problem by reconfiguring/making/
| installing all of 2.3.1 from source:
|
| ./configure F77=/usr/bin/g77
| make
| make install
|
|    A few questions inspired by this experience:
|
|   (1) it seems a bit odd that R sets F77=gfortran
| by default, since the system has both g77 and gfortran
| compilers on it, and given that there is a separate
| variable (FC) for the Fortran 90/95 compiler --
| does it make any sense to switch
| the search order in configure so that g77 comes up first if present?
|
|   (2) I couldn't figure out a way to set the F77 variable
| on a per-package basis: adding a src/Makevars file or a configure
| file to the package didn't seem to help, but perhaps I didn't
| put it in the right place/get it exactly right.  Any clues?

That came up recently:

a)  ~/.Makevars  (as I recall)

b)  on a per invocation basis:
	MAKEFLAGS="FFLAGS=-O1" R CMD INSTALL ...
    is something that worked for me.

That said, I personally still dislike that I cannot 'undo' the settings the
R's global Makeconf.  I'd love to turn debugging, optimisation, ... on/off on
demand.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison