[Rd] R CMD check and directory/package name

Heather Turner Heather.Turner at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 12:52:47 CEST 2006

The NEWS for R 2.3.0 states that

"R CMD check works for packages whose package name is different from the directory name in which it is located."

However that hasn't been my experience. I ran R CMD check on package sources located in a directory with the same name as the package and it worked as expected. Then I renamed the directory and tried again. The first attempt got stuck when checking installation, so I tried again with option --no-install but it got stuck on checking for missing documentation entries. I can't see a way of getting round this. Perhaps I have misunderstood the NEWS? I can't find this behaviour documented elsewhere.

R CMD check output given at the end,

Thanks,

Heather

## original
D:\gnm>RCMD CHECK gnm
RCMD CHECK gnm
* checking for working latex ... OK
* using log directory 'd:/gnm/gnm.Rcheck'
* using Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
* checking for file 'gnm/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* this is package 'gnm' version '0.8-5'
* checking package dependencies ... OK
* checking if this is a source package ... WARNING
Subdirectory 'gnm/src' contains object files.
* checking whether package 'gnm' can be installed ... OK
* checking package directory ... OK
* checking for portable file names ... OK
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* checking top-level files ... OK
* checking index information ... OK
* checking package subdirectories ... OK
* checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
* checking R files for library.dynam ... OK
* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... OK
* checking replacement functions ... OK
* checking foreign function calls ... OK
* checking Rd files ... OK
* checking for missing documentation entries ... OK
* checking for code/documentation mismatches ... OK
* checking Rd \usage sections ... OK
* checking for CRLF line endings in C/C++/Fortran sources/headers ... OK
* checking for portable compilation flags in Makevars ... OK
* creating gnm-Ex.R ... OK
* checking examples ... OK
* checking tests ...
## some differences cut out to save space here
OK
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/gnm/gnm.Rcheck/tests'
 OK
* checking package vignettes in 'inst/doc' ... OK
* creating gnm-manual.tex ... OK
* checking gnm-manual.tex ... OK

WARNING: There was 1 warning, see
  d:/gnm/gnm.Rcheck/00check.log
for details

## first attempt with renamed directory
D:\gnm>RCMD CHECK gnm2
* checking for working latex ... OK
* using log directory 'D:/gnm/gnm2.Rcheck'
* using Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
* checking for file 'gnm2/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* this is package 'gnm' version '0.8-5'
* checking package dependencies ... OK
* checking if this is a source package ... WARNING
Subdirectory 'gnm2/src' contains object files.
* checking whether package 'gnm' can be installed ... ERROR
Installation failed.
See 'D:/gnm/gnm2.Rcheck/00install.out' for details.

## D:/gnm/gnm2.Rcheck/00install.out
installing R.css in D:/gnm/gnm2.Rcheck

---------- Making package gnm2 ------------
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
  installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
  making DLL ...
windres --include-dir c:/R/tex/R-2.3.1/include  -i gnm2_res.rc -o gnm2_res.o
gcc  -shared -s  -o gnm2.dll gnm2.def gnm.o gnm2_res.o  -Lc:/R/tex/R-2.3.1/bin -Lc:/R/tex/R-2.3.1/bin -lRblas -lg2c  -lR
  ... DLL made
  installing DLL
  installing R files
  installing demos
  installing inst files
  installing data files
  installing man source files
  installing indices
Error in .find.package(package, lib.loc, verbose = verbose) :
	there is no package called 'gnm2'
Execution halted
make[2]: *** [indices] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [pkg-gnm2] Error 2
*** Installation of gnm2 failed ***

Removing 'D:/gnm/gnm2.Rcheck/gnm2'

## Second attempt
D:\gnm>RCMD CHECK gnm2 --no-install
* checking for working latex ... OK
* using log directory 'D:/gnm/gnm2.Rcheck'
* using Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
* checking for file 'gnm2/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* this is package 'gnm' version '0.8-5'
* checking if this is a source package ... WARNING
Subdirectory 'gnm2/src' contains object files.
* checking package directory ... OK
* checking for portable file names ... OK
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* checking top-level files ... OK
* checking index information ... OK
* checking package subdirectories ... OK
* checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
* checking R files for library.dynam ... OK
* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... OK
* checking replacement functions ... OK
* checking foreign function calls ... OK
* checking Rd files ... OK
* checking Rd cross-references ... OK
* checking for missing documentation entries ... ERROR
Error: there is no package called 'gnm2'