[Rd] separators in data()

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:45:28 CEST 2006

I don't think the poster is confused.  He is referring to the data()
command and
that one uses semicolon, not comma, and the poster is wondering what the
motivation is for that choice.  From ?data

     Currently, four formats of data files are supported:

        1.  files ending '.R' or '.r' are 'source()'d in, with the R
           working directory changed temporarily to the directory
           containing the respective file.

        2.  files ending '.RData' or '.rda' are 'load()'ed.

        3.  files ending '.tab', '.txt' or '.TXT' are read using
           'read.table(..., header = TRUE)', and hence result in a data
           frame.

        4.  files ending '.csv' or '.CSV' are read using
           'read.table(..., header = TRUE, sep = ";")', and also result
           in a data frame.