[Rd] 'R CMD config' doesn't work on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu May 18 04:11:34 CEST 2006

On 5/17/2006 5:51 PM, Seth Falcon wrote:
> Herve Pages <hpages at fhcrc.org> writes:
>> I'd like to report this problem I have on Windows with R 2.2.1, R 2.3.0,
>> R-2.3.0 patched (r38086) and R 2.4.0 devel (r37925):
>>     D:\hpages>R\bin\R CMD config CC
>>     Can't open perl script "D:\hpages\R-2.3.1/bin/config": No such file
>> or directory
>
> A bit of background...
>
> For Bioconductor's automated builds, we are trying to provide
> developers with more information about the build platforms upon which
> their packages are tested.  For example, see here:
> http://www.bioconductor.org/checkResults/1.9/gopher5-NodeInfo.html
>
> So R CMD config <var> provides a lot of useful details, but it doesn't
> seem to work on Windows for us.  It would be very nice to be able to
> provide the same level of detail about our Windows build system.

What is "config"?  On Windows, it's assumed to be a Perl script stored
in RHOME/bin and as the message says, there's no such thing.

If it's a .exe or .bat file, you need to specify the extension for R CMD
to find it.  This is described in the Intro to R manual, in "invoking R
from the command line".

Duncan Murdoch