[Rd] as.environment(NULL)

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Fri Sep 1 12:51:43 CEST 2006

Hi

In NEWS, it says

	R CMD check now tests that the package can be loaded, and that
	the package and namespace (if there is one) can each be loaded
	in startup code (before the standard packages are loaded).

For package "onion",  I think I have followed all of
sections 1.6.1 - 1.6.6 of R-exts, and it passes  R CMD check for
R-2.3.1.

However, using  R version 2.4.0 Under development (unstable)
(2006-08-31 r39045)
under MacOSX 10.4.7, I get  this:

* checking R files for non-ASCII characters ... OK
* checking whether the package can be loaded ... ERROR
Error in get("Re", pos = NULL, mode = "function") :
         using 'as.environment(NULL)' is defunct
Error: unable to load R code in package 'onion'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'onion'
Execution halted

It looks like this package has a loading problem: see the messages for
details.

in 00check.log.

I don't understand what I have to do to fix this.
In my NAMESPACE file there are lots of lines like this:

S3method("Re", quaternion)
S3method("Im", quaternion)
S3method("i", quaternion)
S3method("j", quaternion)
S3method("k", quaternion)

what do I have to do to make onion work under R-devel?

--
Robin Hankin
Uncertainty Analyst