[Rd] Overriding InitTempDir

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Sep 1 21:09:22 CEST 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> It is conventional for people proposing changes to R to set out a
> compelling case as to why they are needed.  I have not seen any case here.
> Can we please have one?

Here's the case for RApache:

An Apache server built with the prefork multi-processing module creates
and destroys many processes, and if it loads the RApache module, this
means that each server process initializes its own R interpreter,
thereby creating many new temp directories. Now, the Apache API provides
shutdown hooks to allow modules (such as with RApache) to do cleanup
work, e.g. remove temporary directories, before a process is destroyed,
but there are occasions when processes just die. I'd like RApache to
fail a little more gracefully, in this case, by not leaving around a
(usually empty) temp directory.

> Someone will have to think through the ramifications of such a change (and
> BTW using edit() in an R console is not at all unlikely), and continue to
> maintain it for years to come.  I have to say that in the past I have
> accepted quite a few user suggestions that became maintenance nightmares,
> so I have become very wary.

Understood, but I have to say that I'm even more confused about how a
program that embeds R is expected to shut itself down with the
introduction of Rf_endEmbeddedR. Does this implicitly deprecate the use
of overriding the callback R_CleanUp?

> It's not really a good time: R-devel is about to start solidifying towards
> 2.4.0, and we have quite a few issues to work through (e.g. the internal
> changes to S4 methods).

Of course, that does seem a bit more important.

--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner