[Rd] Unexpected source() behavior in R-devel

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Sep 4 02:26:03 CEST 2006

Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk> writes:

> "Henrik Bengtsson" <hb at stat.berkeley.edu> writes:
>
>> This has been reported before on r-devel, e.g. May 9, 2006 "[Rd] Seg
>> fault when installing package from bad repository".
>>
>> It's happening on Mac OSX when trying to download non-existing
>> webpages (HTTP status 404). That's all I know (not using OSX myself).
>
> It is not entirely obvious that it is the same problem, but it might be.
>
> This happened to me on Linux (2.3.1 on FC5), but it has only happened
> that one time. I don't think I did anything particularly strange
> earlier in that session.
>
> Of course, with 20/20 hindsight, I should have taken the core dump
> option...

I'm pretty sure this is the same issue and one that has been fixed in
R-devel.

    r38716 | ripley | 2006-07-30 00:19:35 -0700 (Sun, 30 Jul 2006) | 1 line
    Changed paths:
       M /trunk/src/modules/internet/internet.c

    crash workaround from Seth Falcon

Sean: can you try just download.file with a URL that gives 404?  Are
you running an R version prior to the above commit?

Bw,

+ seth