[Rd] Package dependencies and imports

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 22 10:54:48 CEST 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Martin Maechler wrote:

>    Seth> Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:
>    >>  I think you should use the new DESCRIPTION field and say
>    >> 'Enhances: rgl'
>    >>
>    >> but I haven't checked if this prevents the warning,
>    >> though I think it should..
>
>    Seth> But is Rcmdr enhancing rgl or being enhanced by rgl?
>
>    Seth> :-( :-(
>
> I think this distinction is not so easily made on a general level.
> I'd say an argument for how you can (should?) think about this
> is the following abstraction:
>
> There are two packages, A and B.
> A's DESCRIPTION has 'Enhances: B'.
> When B is there, A provides extra features.
> In one sense, this always enhances B ("enhance" in the usual
> English meaning), since B's area of application has been
> enlarged by code in A.

Yes, but that is just as true of the raft of packages that Rcmdr has in
'Suggests'.  I suggested to John, and still think, that 'Suggests: rgl' is
right.  Rcmdr will work without it, but works better with it and so if you
are installing Rcmdr you would like to install rgl as well (but it fails
to install it would not be a major loss).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk