[Rd] buglet in terms calculations

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Sun Apr 8 09:52:26 CEST 2007

Hi,
   Vince and I have noticed a problem with non-syntactic names in data
frames and some modeling code (but not all modeling code).

   The following, while almost surely as documented could be a bit more
helpful:

  m = matrix(rnorm(100), nc=10)
  colnames(m) = paste(1:10, letters[1:10], sep="_")

  d = data.frame(m, check.names=FALSE)

  f = formula(`1_a` ~ ., data=d)

  tm = terms(f, data=d)

  ##failure here, as somehow back-ticks have become part of the name
  ##not a quoting mechanism
  d[attr(tm, "term.labels")]

   The variable attribute, in the terms object, keeps them as quotes, so
modeling code that uses that attribute seems fine, but code that uses
the term.labels fails. In particular, it seems (of those tested) that
glm, lda, randomForest seem to work fine, while nnet, rpart can't
handle nonsyntactic names in formulae as such

   In particlar, rpart contains this code:

  lapply(m[attr(Terms, "term.labels")], tfun)

   which fails for the reasons given.

  One way to get around this, might be to modify the do_termsform code,
right now we have:
    PROTECT(varnames = allocVector(STRSXP, nvar));
     for (v = CDR(varlist), i = 0; v != R_NilValue; v = CDR(v))
         SET_STRING_ELT(varnames, i++, STRING_ELT(deparse1line(CAR(v),
     0), 0));

  and then for term.labels, we copy over the varnames (with :, as
needed) and perhaps we need to save the unquoted names somewhere?

  Or is there some other approach that will get us there? Certainly
cleaning up the names via
   cleanTick = function(x) gsub("`", "", x)

  works, but it seems a bit ugly, and it might be better if the modeling
code was modified.

   best wishes

--

Robert Gentleman, PhD