[Rd] Rf_PrintValue problem with methods::show

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 8 17:53:50 CEST 2007

Simon,

There are a couple of subtle issues here.  As I wrote, PrintValue
evaluates in the base environment, so sees only base functions.  It is not
clear to me that is the right place (why the base environment and not the
base namespace, for example), and one might consider evaluating in
R_GlobalEnv.

However, as I understand it, one can load the methods namespace and turn
S4 dispatch on without attaching the package.  So it seems entirely
possible (but unusual) to have a package import 'methods' and then create
S4 objects, and expect autoprinting to work.  That's why PrintValueEnv has
to get show() from the methods namespace (at least as a last resort).

Now, there is an issue as to what autoprinting should do if a user defines
his own version of print or show higher up the search path.  At present I
believe the users's version is used for autoprinting, so we might want to
preserve those semantics.  There are also issues with the visibility of S3
print methods, and possible discrepancies in the choice between methods on
the search path and registered ones.

I need to think through what the best fix is (suggestions welcome), and
get this into 2.5.0 as a bug fix (I won't have time until Tuesday at the
earliest).

Brian