[Rd] Orphaned ncvar? (PR#9603)

Robert Chatfield chatfield at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Apr 9 08:32:03 CEST 2007

 From one view, there is no confusion at all, Peter.

There are persistant difficulties with the binary builds at all sites
I can try.  It seems that
this build is failing tests.  Possibly it's as simple as a change in
name for the binary, but
it's impossible for me to guess the correct name.

Of course I tried source builds, but they also present real
problems.   Techniques for
making libraries known ... and which libraries,    ... .h , ...lib,
more specific dynamic iibraries ...
way beyond the poor soul who's paid to do statistics and science ...
well, he is paid if he's lucky
and the funding is not suddenly pulled due to "shortfalls"   ... but
it is.     ... We all try.

There is some help in what you mentioned ...

> I have difficulties seeing even what it is you're trying to
> achieve, but for one thing, manipulating .libPaths is NOT the way
> to help anything find include files and C libraries
> (LD_LIBRARY_PATH and configure options might be).

So what is the correct way and what are the techniques an humble
atmospheric scientist
might figure this out based on the documentation that the scientist
can _readily_ find.  I do try.

For example "Having difficulty with binary builds?    See ... and ...
and ... ; note that ... documentation
is completely out of date and you had best write
to ... at ... . ... . .. to find out what we all know,
and .... somehow ... you seem not to know.

(flame off)
best regards, Bob Chatfield
... big fan of R