[Rd] rhel5 rpm spec mods

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 17 16:47:01 CEST 2007

Ben Walton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm in the process of building an rpm for rhel5 (client currently).
> This has required modification of the spec file.  When I've completed
> the process, I'd like to submit the changes to save others doing the
> same work.  Is this the appropriate place to submit a patch with those
> changes?
>
> Thanks
> -Ben

I'll be interested to see it, but I wonder what kind of modification is
*required*? I am currently using a spec file modified from the 2.3 era
for 2.4 onto fedora 6, and I don't think there is *any* required
change to make the old spec file works on fc6.

Here are a list of my changes (from a diff I just do):
(1) ver 2.3.1<->2.4.1, plus a custom release tag to distinguish
from official build
(2) a bunch of change to do with LDFLAGS, etc so that I can do 32-bit
build on 64-bit platforms.
(3) enable memory profiling and strict type check
(4) make also the pdf's for the full reference manual and the
extension manual.

These are all personal preferences; and FWIW, fedora extra also carries
R (and I believe RHEL5 can get at fedora extra's via yum), so
(1) are you refering to the spec file on cran or the spec file on fedora
extra? They are quite different!
(2) are you sure your "required" modification not a matter of personal
preference as well?

HTL