[Rd] rhel5 rpm spec mods

Ben Walton bwalton at artsci.utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 17 17:16:08 CEST 2007

The only changes I've made (taken from the fc6.src.rpm) are in the
initial detection of which linux/rpm-based distro it's being built on.
This allows detection of gcc version, pdfviewer, etc.  These changes are
all similar to what happens in the fc line of detection, but weren't
being done for rhel.

Without modification, rpmbuild was looking for XFree86-devel and gcc-g77
which aren't valid packages in rhel5 (haven't looked at 4 as rpms were
already built for that).

I am aware of fedora extras but haven't gotten to the point of using
them in rhel (we do in our fc installs).  Personally, I'd prefer to stay
away from the fc rpm trees when possible as (being a devel distro)
versions can change wildly and bugs are more likely to crop up in
packaging, etc (we've been bitten in the past).  I'm moving away from fc
for production machines for this reason.  I prefer fewer surprises in
production machines when possible.

I'll discuss the required(1) changes with Martyn and submit them if he's
agreeable.

Thanks
-Ben

(1) assuming that they are required and I'm not missing the obvious.
--
Ben Walton
Systems Programmer

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.

Please Note: This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
Any dissemination, disclosure, printing, publishing or use of this email
or the information contained herein without written authorization of the
sender is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete. Thank you.