[Rd] missing --vanilla option in INSTALL (PR#9877)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 11:41:31 CEST 2007

This is as documented, and intentional.  From ?INSTALL

      If used as 'R CMD INSTALL pkgs' without explicitly specifying
      'lib', packages are installed into the library tree rooted at the
      first directory in the library path which would be used by R run
      in the current environment.

and to do that needs .Rprofile and .Renviron to be processed.

As the R FAQ says:

   If you aren't familiar with the command, or don't know for certain how
   the command is supposed to work, then it might actually be working right.
   Rather than jumping to conclusions, show the problem to someone who
   knows for certain.

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, prokaj at cs.elte.hu wrote:

> Full_Name: Vilmos Prokaj
> Version: 2.5.1
> OS: windows
> Submission from: (NULL) (81.183.3.216)
>

> I'm not sure that this is really a bug, if not I do not understand why
> should it be in this way.
>
> Most of the scripts used to build and install new packages calls the R
> program with the --slave --vanilla command line options.

I think you have shown far too little respect for the understanding of the
R developers.