[Rd] Defaults for postscript()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 23:07:01 CET 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Paul Murrell wrote:

> Hi
>

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> The defaults for postscript()
>>
>> paper = "default"
>> onefile = TRUE
>> horizontal = TRUE
>>
>> (it seems) date from the days when people used to used this to send plots
>> directly to a postscript printer via print.it=TRUE.  I haven't done that
>> for years, and it seems that our current generation of students don't even
>> know the concept.  It seems 'horizontal = TRUE' is particularly difficult
>> to grasp.
>>
>> Given that I suspect almost all uses of postscript() are to produce plots
>> to be viewed on-screen or incorporated into another document, a more
>> appropriate set of defaults would be
>>
>> width = 7, height = 7
>

> Wouldn't that be better as width = 6, height = 6 to match pdf() ?

Perhaps (but not matching X11 nor windows).  Would anyone notice the
difference?  One argument against is that I now think the default
pointsize in pdf() is too large for the default device region.

I would have suggested 8x6 (which is what the MASS scripts use) apart from
the R preference for square device regions.

Thanks to Deepayan & Marc for other comments: I will have some follow-up
comments in due course.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk