[Rd] Fortran 90 and Windows

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Dec 18 10:17:25 CET 2007

Dave Roberts wrote:
> I have been revising some FORTRAN 77 routines in R packages I have
> previously submitted.  Since R is now using gfortan I experimented with
> some Fortran 90 code (array intrinsics primarily).  So far the code is
> still in F77 fixed format, in files suffixed .f (not .f90), but
> incorporates some F90 constructs.  It has worked fine in linux/R.  I
> tried to follow the thread of previous discussions on this subject, but
> as fast as things are changing, it was somewhat dated, and not too
> definitive.
>
> I don't so my own Windows versions of packages, but rather rely on CRAN
> to do the conversions, and I don't want to send them code that won't
> work on Windows.  Does anybody have extensive experience on what
> elements of F90 can be used in R packages for Windows?  If R CMD SHLIB
> is happy with it, is it likely to work?
>
> Thanks, Dave

The Windows toolkit is also GCC, hence gfortran for new enough R. The
thing to worry about is the "other" category of machines. Either
oldish/specialized Unixes which ship with their own toolchains and
optimized libraries, or commercial compilers like the ones from Intel.
Brian Ripley and/or http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html
can fill you in on the details. See also Brian's reply to John Fox on
December 9 ("I wouldn't let that deter you.").