[Rd] IDE for R C++ package writing ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 23 12:17:12 CET 2007

You seem to mention both Linux and Windows.

Emacs and XEmacs are both stable on both platforms, and I think most R
developers use an emacs or vi variant for all their programming.  I would
not call emacs an IDE, but the main thing I find useful is to have a
language-aware editor (syntax highlighting, indentation ...).

If you write a package you will also need an Rd editor, and emacs/ESS is
probably the best supported of those.

Later versions of precompiled emacs for Windows have existed, but I am
running 21.3.1 (2002) on Windows and 21.4.1 on Linux: emacs itself is very
stable.  If you prefer a more graphical environment, XEmacs is a good
alternative and despite its name has an active Windows version.