[Rd] IDE for R C++ package writing ?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Fri Feb 23 15:52:49 CET 2007

In addition to Prof. Ripley's comments, which I wholeheartedly support,
I might point you to some additional tools, that enhance the use of
Emacs for coding.

I am running Emacs (alpha version 23 from cvs source) under Linux and
while I do not do C, C++ or FORTRAN coding, these tools have
dramatically improved my coding productivity when using R and Sweave (R
+ LaTeX) along with ESS and other standard Emacs tools such as
Auctex/Preview-Latex.

1. ECB - Emacs Code Browser

  http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

2. psvn - A Subversion interface for emacs

  http://www.xsteve.at/prg/vc_svn/

Both of the above, especially if you integrate version control using
Subversion, greatly enhance the functionality of Emacs as an IDE.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz