[Rd] R/C++/memory leaks

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 26 17:58:15 CET 2007

Ernest,

On Feb 25, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Ernest Turro wrote:

> I have wrapped a C++ function in an R package. I allocate/
> deallocate memory using C++ 'new' and 'delete'. In order to allow
> user interrupts without memory leaks

How do you allow for user interrupts? R doesn't allow interrupts
while in .C/.Call on purpose, so it's up to your code to handle
interrupts properly. This also implies that you can use the regular
methods for error recovery available in your language and handle the
interrupt yourself by freeing the memory as needed, your code
shouldn't return to R until it has cleaned everything up ...

> I've moved all the delete statements required after an interrupt to
> a separate C++ function freeMemory(), which is called using on.exit
> () just before the .C() call.

This sounds a bit dangerous - how can the separate function know
about the previous call and the state it was in before the interrupt
(save for hard-wiring everything into one instance)? Again, the
crucial part is the interrupt handling in your code - it may fail to
release some objects...

@Ross [see follow-up]: R_RegisterCFinalizerEx is called on R exit if
desired (see arguments). However, I don't think this is relevant to
the discussed issue as a process termination frees all its memory.
Moreover I don't think Ernest wants to wrap all his classes to R
objects - we're not talking about the GC here, it is supposed to be C+
+ internal issue.

Cheers,
Simon