[Rd] R/C++/memory leaks

Ernest Turro ernest.turro at ic.ac.uk
Mon Feb 26 18:32:17 CET 2007

Hi Simon,

On 26 Feb 2007, at 16:58, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Ernest,
>
> On Feb 25, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Ernest Turro wrote:
>
>> I have wrapped a C++ function in an R package. I allocate/
>> deallocate memory using C++ 'new' and 'delete'. In order to allow
>> user interrupts without memory leaks
>
> How do you allow for user interrupts? R doesn't allow interrupts
> while in .C/.Call on purpose,

void R_CheckUserInterrupt(void)

> so it's up to your code to handle interrupts properly. This also
> implies that you can use the regular methods for error recovery
> available in your language and handle the interrupt yourself by
> freeing the memory as needed, your code shouldn't return to R until
> it has cleaned everything up ...

How can I detect an interrupt from R inside the C/C++ code without
using the R API? SIGINTs don't get passed on if they come from within
R...

>> I've moved all the delete statements required after an interrupt
>> to a separate C++ function freeMemory(), which is called using
>> on.exit() just before the .C() call.
>>

> This sounds a bit dangerous - how can the separate function know
> about the previous call and the state it was in before the
> interrupt (save for hard-wiring everything into one instance)?
> Again, the crucial part is the interrupt handling in your code - it
> may fail to release some objects...

I have to declare variables for any allocated memory globally:

static int foo*;

extern "C"
void func(...) {
	foo = new int[1024];