[Rd] Connections to https: URLs -- IE expert help needed

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Jan 1 22:58:40 CET 2007

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> I've added to R-devel the ability to use download.file() and url() to
>> https: URLs, *only* if --internet2 is used on Windows.
>>
>> This uses the Internet Explorer internals, and only works if the
>> certificate is accepted (so e.g. does not work for
>> https://svn.r-project.org).
>>
>> Now I use IE (and Windows for that matter) only when really necessary, and
>> Firefox has simple ways to permanently accept non-verifiable certificates.
>> I would be grateful if someone who is much more familiar with IE could
>> write a note explaining how to deal with this that we could add to the
>> rw-FAQ.
>>
>> To forestall the inevitable question: there are no plans to add https:
>> support on any other platform, but it is something that would make a nice
>> project for a user contribution.  The current internal code is based on
>> likxml2, and that AFAICS still does not have https: support.
>>

> Generally (i.e. not in particular response to Brian but related to
> this thread)

With a similar disclaimer: Brian's efforts were triggered by me asking
how to use url() to read R's mailing list archive files, such as

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2007-January.txt.gz

directly into R.  Turns out we cannot ... which, in a way, is a shame
("R cannot read its own web pages") :-(

Best
-k